Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Analog boy in a digital world

So, I’m not ashamed to admit that I waste countless hours on the internet. As most of us are, I’m unfortunately a slave to technology. I don’t absolutely detest the World Wide Web though; it has served me fairly well. I’ve made various (good) friendships online. It may sound kind of silly coming from someone who has had pretty good luck online, but I absolutely hate this whole online dating ordeal.

It isn’t hard to tell that most online dating and social media profiles are orchestrated very carefully. We all assume we have to be a certain type of person to attract the type of person we want, but that just seems so unnatural to me. We craftily answer our questions and state our likes and dislikes, in hopes that we may spark someone’s interest.

What are we really achieving by doing that though? We are turning ourselves into concepts. We aren’t people anymore. We aren’t feelings or emotions. We are what we like (or what we supposedly enjoy, according to our profiles). In my opinion, this is the recipe for disaster and extreme disappointment.

Apparently there is an unwritten rule in the online dating world that states that you should give up on courting an individual if plans haven’t been made after a few messages or conversations.

Why in the world would I want to meet with a complete stranger because they asked me how my day was and because I like the concept of what this person may be?

So you like craft beer, Sleater Kinney and Nolan movies? That’s cool. I do as well, but so did one of my ex boyfriends and he was a complete asshole. I’m not an asshole though, so your fondness for beer, music and movies tells me nothing about you other than the fact that you may or may not be a jerk.

I’m not really sure where I was going with this, or how I would even improve the online dating world. I’m just extremely baffled as to how it is set up and how it’s accepted to be. It seems to be an extremely frivolous way to meet someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment